Go give this guy some love!

Thursday, June 25, 2009

I forgot to mention the last newbie I took to the range.

Somehow I forgot to make this post...sorry, C. I know this is all about you, and I meant to post it eons ago.

Anyhow, on with the post.

My friend C. had been having a BAD week at work, and I happened to have ammo in the locker, so I suggested we meet at the range and I teach him a thing or two about shooting pistols. His experience was limited - he'd only ever shot a long gun or two - but he at least had the 4 rules down, so I had less concern about safety than I normally would. I'd also like to mention that C has played plenty of first person shooter type video games, so I knew he'd at least have a good grasp of proper aim.

When we arrived, we rented a large-frame .22 revolver, and got to work. The revolver in question may have been a S&W, but it's been so long I've forgotten (C, if you remember the brand, please let me know). It proved to be an effective introduction - he giggled like an idiot through most of that box of ammo, and was damned accurate. I think the lack of recoil helped.

We moved up to the Bersa (I swear, she gets around nowadays!) and let him fire off a round to see the difference between the two calibers. He knew it had a stronger recoil, but he managed the difference very well. Again, he was scary accurate...so we worked on his stance. I forced him to lean forward a little, since one's natural inclination is to lean back while firing, and his accuracy got better. I insisted he work on groupings, and his accuracy continued to improve.

He seemed thoroughly pleased with the evening, and still itches to go back. One of these days, when life isn't quite so busy, I think we shall.

Next range report will likely be an introduction for either my friend R, or my cousin V. Both have expressed interest, so we're working on scheduling.

No comments: