Go give this guy some love!

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hunter safety.

C and I decided to jump on the opportunity to take the first class of the season - we haven't really started working in the yard yet, and it was cheap, so why not?

The first two nights of the class were utterly exhausting. I'd forgotten what it was like to sit in a classroom setting and absorbing information 3 hours a night, every other night. It didn't help that there were a bunch of fidgety kids who were...well...fidgety.

BUT. There were kids. And moms! Moms who were willing to shoot! I was floored...and pleased. Only a handful of the kiddos were boy scouts, too, which pleased C. Neither of us expected over a third of the class to be children (including the two 8-year-old boys).

As I said, the class covered a wealth of information. Muzzleloaders, modern firearms, archery, trapping, ethics, preparedness while in the field - this course covered everything I could think of. Basically, it was a sportsman's braindump over 3 days of class.

And the test? Well, the written was easier than I expected - both C and I passed with only 2 questions wrong. The range time was difficult, though, and neither of us managed to hit anything. We both passed that, though, since they really only cared if we demonstrated safe firearm handling.

I'm glad we took the class, but I'm glad it's over. That was one heck of a tiring 2 weeks.

No comments: