Go give this guy some love!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I still have a small backlog of range posts, BUT...

My cousin and I met at the range tonight to try out a 1911 and a 9mm of some sort.

Can I say how much I continue to love a 1911 in .45? If it weren't for Breda, I probably never would have shot C's 1911...and now I'm infatuated.

So. Springfield 1911 with a few upgraded parts (full length guide rod, lightened trigger, extended beavertail) makes me happy in places it shouldn't. I'm pleased to say V enjoyed it as much as I did...I think he'll be getting into the pistol game come Christmas. I'm so pleased. :)

On the other end of the spectrum, I encountered the Sig P226. Again. And neither of us liked it. It must be the gun itself, because this thing rattles like an old domestic pickup truck...and I had one feed failure out of 50. Thankfully it was easily cleared, but...it doesn't speak well for it. On top of that, I could feel the slide every time I shot it, and that was more than a little disconcerting. It almost felt like the slide was going to fall off. I think, henceforth, I'll be shooting *other* 9mm options.

I have to finish the write-up from V's first-ever range visit, but I haven't had much time. I'll get around to it, though.

4 comments:

Mike W. said...

I've never been a big P226 fan. It's the one classic Sig that just never felt right to me.

Also, if it's a range gun and an older model it likely gets beat to shit and rarely ever cleaned or maintained.

I could imagine the P226 feeling a wee bit big in your hands. That may be fine for some things but not for handguns.

mike's spot said...

the obvious solution is a 9mm 1911 to accompany a 45acp 1911. think of how much you will save in holster compatibility!

Mike W. said...

Mike- STI makes a 9mm 1911.

falnfenix said...

RE:Holster compatibility
Not like I can carry here, or anything...

If I go 9mm, I haven't a clue what I'd buy. I'm nowhere near that point, yet. Still need to get my first 1911. ;)