I went last night. And I learned. Oh, I learned.
- Wardrobe choice is critical. No more "normal" bras when shooting a shotgun or rifle. Sports bra from now on. I had an indent in my shoulder the rest of the night from that dang bra strap
- I need to remember to grab my shoulder pad the next time I go. I may also swap out the stock butt pad for a gel one.
- Must invest in good ear plugs, possibly a pair of custom-fit jobbies. The butt of the gun kept knocking my muffs off my head. Anyone have any suggestions for AFFORDABLE but worthwhile ones? I really, really hate the squishy foam things...not only are they uncomfortable, but they tend to fall out of my ears after about 20 minutes.
- Need to get back to lifting weights. I could handle the shotgun better than I expected, thanks to a few months of lifting, but I need more work. My arms are still tired.
- I need to stop flinching, anticipating, and closing my eyes. Can't hit jack with my eyes closed! This will be remedied with time on the range, I think.
- I need to learn to move my body with the shotgun, rather than just moving my arms. I apparently tensed my whole body up and failed at follow-through.
- Need to swap out the cheekpad on the stock. I think the shorter pad will help me get a better sight picture. The tall one doesn't help me in the slightest.
- I discovered I had the wrong choke in the shotgun last night...after I got home. Heh, oops. This has been remedied.
I didn't hit a dang thing, but I plan on going back in 2 weeks, hopefully better prepared.