Go give this guy some love!

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Goodbye my sweet, sweet boy.

I never posted an update on Deckard's condition...I didn't want our bad news to crowd their way in on people's holiday plans and celebrations. By the time I had the energy to talk about it, it would have been a big wet blanket on everyone else's good mood.

Friday a week ago, we took him up to U Penn in Philly for a last ditch effort, but there was nothing they could do. The news went from bad - acute renal failure - to worse - renal displaysia of both kidneys. Basically, this means his kidneys were both underdeveloped. One was just large enough to function until he got dehydrated. Once that happened, he went into kidney failure. This was just crappy luck, really. There's no history of it in his pedigree (our breeder has been in touch with HER breeder to confirm), and this was a risk we took in bringing home the runt of the litter.

We brought him home last Sunday with a bag of drugs, fluids, some renal-specific food, and prayers and well wishes from everyone who worked with him in Philly. When we got home he was perky and happy to be home. He ran around the house, chasing the cats like a goober, and generally being himself. He got a visit from his "auntie" across the street and Chris's mom that evening, and from my parents on Monday evening. He was mostly himself until Tuesday. By Tuesday evening, we knew he was ready to go. We spent the night with him in the living room, and Wednesday we took him to the vet for the last time. He was surrounded by Chris, Chris's mom, me, and Deckard's favorite vet and vet tech...he knew he was loved to the last breath.

Today we had snow, and I can't help but wish he were still here to see it. Last winter was so mild I'm 99% sure he never got the chance to romp in it like a puppy should.  Right now I'm getting through and healing by thinking the kids from Connecticut needed a puppy to help them feel better, so they took the best one they could.

I miss you, my sweet baby.


Deckard
1/28/12 -  12/19/12















13 comments:

Maura said...

My deepest sympathies, Laura. Losing a member of your family is never easy - because in the end, who you draw into your family is what matters most, be they furry or not. He's a sweet face. Thank you for sharing him with us. *hug*

Jennifer said...

Much love to you guys. He was blessed to have you for his far too short time here.

Mike W. said...

Godspeed Deckard.

He was a sweet boy and also an adorable goofball, just like his mom :)

I'm glad I got to meet him!

Christina LMT said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Laura. I eagerly followed your posts about Deckard; from everything you wrote, he was a wonderful pup. Please accept my condolences.

Keads said...

I'm sorry. My condolences.

Garand Gal said...

Laura, I'm so sorry to hear that Deckard passed away. I'm glad that you had a last day with him. I like the thought of him, and Hag too if you don't mind, playing with the children from Connecticut, keeping them safe for their families.

Laura said...

thanks, everyone.

Garand Gal - of course Hag's with him! Hag just figured he'd run ahead, i guess. silly babies. <3

Old NFO said...

Truly sorry to hear that Laura...

instinct said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

MSgt B said...

Sorry to hear the sad news.

Our shepherd is coming up on his 13th birthday, and has started having the hip problems so common to his breed.

It's sad to watch him struggle to get around like he used to, and no one wants to talk about how long he has left.

agirlandhergun said...

Oh, so sorry! A tough loss to deal with.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry for the sad loss of your beautiful pup. Condolences and prayers that he's in a better place where the sun is warm, grass is cool, and bones are abundant. Our family just lost a rescued "good boy" of our own. It breaks your heart and hurts. It really, really hurts. As soon as you can, open your heart and home to another pup. They bring so much into our lives and ask so little.

NotClauswitz said...

I'm sorry for your loss, our friend just lost her big old-lug white girl Lab. It is too sad.