Go give this guy some love!

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I went to my first protest/rally today.

I drove down to Annapolis with a female friend in tow, and we were amazed. I'd estimate about three thousand pro-2A people showed up for the rally, and we FILLED the MD Senate building. They had to shut down the building - it was at capacity. We had folks from Maryland Shall Issue, Maryland Shooters Forum, the NRA, and I believe I spotted one of the Alans from the 2AF...that, or he has a twin running 'round Annapolis.

So, an observation: the crowd at the rally was possibly the most polite and respectful crowd I've had the pleasure to be around. I'm slightly agoraphobic in certain situations - for example, the photos of the Ravens rally yesterday made me nervous - but I only felt a slight amount of ohgodTOOMANYPEOPLE near the end, while waiting to sign the testimony book. This group of men, women, and yes, children, really helped to put a pleasant face on what many folks down in Naptown think is a big evil monster. I'm proud to be a part of it, and given the opportunity I think I'd go back down for similar reasons.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to testify. We stood in line for over 2 hours just to be told we wouldn't be allowed in. I have faith my fellow protesters said some fantastic things. I just hope we have a prayer of making a difference. I'm told Beretta has threatened to leave Maryland if SP281 gets passed, and I trust them to follow through with that threat. If anything has an impact on my state senators, that might. Maybe. I hope.

And because I remembered to take a photo, here's a crappy picture showing the amount of people who were there:

The crowd filled that ENTIRE square, plus maybe another hundred people on the steps immediately in front of me, and another 100 or so in line to get in the Senate building. SO MANY PEOPLE. More pictures and updates have been and will be posted here, here, and probably in other threads in that section of MDS. Please feel free to keep an eye on them.


Also, as we were leaving, "someone" in a police motorcade, two tour buses, and a guy with a Mini-14 hanging out the back of the last car in the motorcade caused the trolley we were in to practically beach itself on the curb. Thanks, nitwit. So glad to know you felt the need to show off your might.

7 comments:

Maura said...

Thank you so much for attending Laura! I would have loved to have been there but couldn't get out of work today. I'm waiting to watch the coverage on the news.

Laura said...

I suspect most news outlets will say "hundreds" of people were in attendance, but this crowd was well over 2500. I'd go as far as to say at least 3k.

Old NFO said...

Thanks for stepping up! Sorry you didn't get to testify!

Jennifer said...

Nice! Thank you for being there.

Maura said...

Actually, NBC 4 in Washington was quite positive in their coverage of the rally, though it was buried pretty deep in the news cast. They interviewed people, spoke of "several thousand" people in attendance, and showed the long lines snaking through the rotunda of people waiting to speak.

They also talked about a petition that has been started to block the Governor's law if passed by forcing it to go to referendum. Did you sign it? Do you know anything about it?

Bubblehead Les. said...

Welcome to the Ranks of "Enemy of the State!" You'll like it here!

eiaftinfo said...

Great job!! The number of feet, the number of bodies, the number of voices matters - very glad you were out there!