Go give this guy some love!

Monday, February 4, 2013

Well, this makes a bit more sense.

The Maryland GOP released their alternative plan for gun control. Here are the bills as released.

My thoughts?

HB424: This should already be in place.
HB165: I don't disagree with this, but I don't have children. I can't rightly agree or disagree to it. Parents, what do YOU think?
HB663: It's about time we had instant checks. I hate knowing that people are currently stuck waiting about a month for the OK to take home their new gun(s).
HB38: YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES.
HB211: I don't disagree with preventing those with mental disorders from possessing a firearm. I just question what guidelines would be in place to determine the severity of an individual's disorder, and how severe a disorder must be to prevent someone from possessing a firearm.

Please note, these opinions are based entirely on the summaries presented in that article. I will try to get some time to read the full bills this week, to better understand them.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

I'd say 211 is probably DOA because of the HIPAA issues... The others look like winners though!

Maura said...

I agree with NFO. Not sure if 211 will pass, and I'm ALL for putting an armed guard in every school ( my son is almost 12 ). Most schools in Montgomery County already have those safety improvements - but I would imagine there are some more rural schools or poorer districts that do not. As for HB 38...I can't emp0hasize enough how strongly I feel that Governor O'Malley ( Mayor McCheese ) doesn't speak for the vast majority of Marylanders who want responsible gun ownership - which should include the right to carry your gun as you see fit. If 45+ states agree with this ( and allow their citizens to carry ), what is it about Marylanders that makes us so unable to responsibly carry our weapons?

I will work as hard as I can to get HB 38 passed.

Thank you for the update, Laura!