Go give this guy some love!

Sunday, February 2, 2014

This weekend, we did a thing.

JayG decided to throw a little get-together on Saturday, so Chris, Mike and I piled in the car and trundled down to Virginia for the day.

The gun show portion of the day was small, crowded, and disappointing.  I wasn't looking for anything specific and I used it as an excuse to socialize a bit.  Chris and Mike didn't find anything, either.  At least it wasn't expensive.

From there, we opted to take a moment to eat something since we'd mostly skipped breakfast and Mike had missed his normal lunchtime.  Had a nice chat, just the three of us, before we went searching for the next stop on our Virginia visit: The Cajun Experience.

The restaurant itself is located in, according to the owner (whose name I cannot remember), the oldest building in Leesburg.  The owner is VERY pro-2A, and I'm told he gives a discount if you open carry on the premises.  We didn't test this, however, so I can't say whether this is the case.  The owner is very welcoming, though, and appeared thrilled to have us for dinner.

So, my impressions of the restaurant.

First: the room in which we were seated was small.  This is of no fault of the owner, as the building is old...he has to work around his limitations, there.  The crowd we had, however, made things difficult to hear.  Eventually another room opened and a few of the group bailed into that room.  This helped decrease the noise and the tight quarters a bit.

Second: service was stellar.  The owner ensured we had staff (and I believe his wife?) running food and drinks up to us frequently.  I can say my water never ran low for long!  I also rather enjoyed seeing the waiter using technology to take our order - their ordering system runs on iOS devices, so it's easy to ensure orders are correct and end up on the correct bill.  If you read this - I approve, sir!

Third: the food.  Good lord, the food.  That meal was fantastic!  I ordered fried gator bites, followed by the crawfish half and half.  The gator was tender and flavorful, and the remoulade provided with them was tasty.  I don't like mustard, so that's rather big for me.  The fried crawfish was tender and tasty, and the etoufee...oh lord, the etoufee.  Buttery, a little burny on the back end, and so, so good.  I usually can't stand okra but it worked here...I suppose the sauce was so thick that I didn't end up with my normal aversion to the texture.  I'm actually rather upset I forgot to bring home the remainder of my meal, as I was truly looking forward to it for lunch today.  Oh well, I hope it was enjoyed by the person in whose refrigerator it ended up last night!  Also: according to Chris, their Sazerac was good if a little heavy-handed on the simple syrup, and my Hurricane was well made.

I will admit I have never been to NOLA, so I cannot say whether this was an accurate representation of the sorts of things one can find down there.  I will also say my belly and tastebuds were very, very happy.  If we find ourselves in Leesburg again, I would return in a heartbeat. 


It was very nice seeing Jay, The Miller, TBolt, Nancy (and her youngin), OldNFO, and meeting Proud Hillbilly, Murphy's Law, Turk Turon, Cargosquid, Wandering Neurons, Stretch (and wife), Sailorcurt, PA State Cop, and the fellow who sat down at the head of the table shortly before we departed.  I wish I could remember the others who shared tables with us, as everyone seemed to be genuinely nice folks...I'm just darned tired.

We'll have to do this again, Jay!  Soon, even. :) 

11 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

It was a good time, and as a former NOLA resident, I can say that the food rates comparably. But the good company made the night, and you three were a significant part of that. We'll do something again soon.

Laura said...

Good to know. :) I'd certainly go back there for dinner, and I'm a little picky about prepared food.

Likewise, sir! So glad to put faces to names. :)

Old NFO said...

Yep, it's 'close' to down home, not as spicy though! And it was great to see y'all!

Laura said...

not as spicy means i could actually enjoy the food. :P i expected the remoulade to be over the top spicy but even that was a tolerable level of heat.

and likewise, sir. as i said, always a pleasure. :)

Jay G said...

You know, we certainly could plan another trip to The Cajun Experience with a smaller group... :)

Mike W. said...

"not as spicy" means I would REALLY like food in NOLA then, because the food at The Cajun Experience was amazing.

Seriously. I wish I'd ordered a second meal to bring home. It was that good. That mustard was to die for. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Also, the owners wife was very easy on the eyes AND he offered Laura & Chris free deer meat. Stand up guy in addition to being pro-gun & pro open carry :)

Good to see everyone again!

Laura said...

Jay - let's. March is my best month right now. April's out completely.

Mike - yes, you'd like the food. from what i understand, it's essentially French-based cooking but spicy.

Jay G said...

Laura,

My understanding is that there's a HUGE gun show in Chantilly at the end of this month.

I would not be averse to traveling back to The Cajun Experience after the show with a smaller group...

*grin*

Laura said...

i'd have to run it by Chris. our breeder wants to see Ripley sometime late this month, too, so i have to figure out when that's going to happen.

newrebeluniv said...

The Manassas gun show is the worst in teh area. The Richmond, Fredericksburg and Chantilly shows are all superior.

Laura said...

the one in Chantilly is the Nations show, right? been there. impressive! Richmond is a bit far for us, though...and i wasn't aware Fredericksburg had a show. thanks for commenting!