Go give this guy some love!

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Call for suggestions - .22LR pistols for bullseye?

Chris and I have started shooting Bullseye at the club, and while he's shooting the Neos, I've been shooting the Rock Island.  This pistol is perfect for it, but ammo is pricey...so I'm considering picking up a .22LR semiauto.

I'm considering a Neos, S&W Model 22A, or a Ruger 22/45.  I already know a bit about the Neos, but I wanted to consider other options as well.

So...which of the above would you recommend?  If none of those, what WOULD you recommend, and why?

Thanks. :)

9 comments:

ZerCool said...

The 22/45 has the advantage of a similar manual of arms to the 1911. (I won't say identical, but all the controls are in the right spots and the grip angle is the same.)

I have a 22/45 and have been inordinately happy with it; it's an accurate pistol, eats bulk Federal just fine, and isn't horribly pricey.

I seem to recall Jay just having a post up on a similar topic.

Old NFO said...

22/45 in bull barrel, and get a good smith to clean up the action :-)
http://www.ruger.com/products/2245BullBarrel/models.html

Marty said...

I like the Ruger 22/45.

Chris said...

It's ok Neos, I still love you! :)

Weer'd Beard said...

S&W 617

Mike W. said...

Ummm, .22LR conversion for your RIA?

Old NFO said...

.22 conversions are NOT accurate enough... Just sayin...

DaddyBear said...

My only quibble with the 22A has been a few failures to feed. Otherwise it's a reasonably priced, accurate pistol. Magazines are pricy.

I have put the 22/45 on my list of guns to have after firing one a couple of months ago. Where the 22A is a plastic/polymer gun, the 22/45 has a lot more weight and heft to it, and made a ragged hole in the target.

Laura said...

ZerCool, NFO, Marty, DaddyBear - thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the 22/45. I *like* the 22A, but if it's got a few reliability problems and expensive mags, it looks like it's out of the running.

Weerdy - No, avoiding revolvers. Will be acquiring a different revolver soonish, though.

Mike - Have you shot a 1911 with a .22 conversion? I have, and to call it unreliable would be an understatement.