Go give this guy some love!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Confession time: national politics, and why I avoid most conversations.

I've never really had an interest in politics.

As a child I remember watching the adults in the family scream at each other about politics, and I never understood why they got so angry.  I never really wanted to understand.  I just wanted to run and hide...I hated the screaming.

I grew up with an aversion to politics and political discussion, and even now I find myself reluctant to self-educate when it comes to the federal government.  I honestly don't believe that we have any sort of control over who ends up in office...on a national level, anyway.  Why bother, if the guy who ends up in office really is pretty much the same as the guy before him?  This is the same reason I didn't bother registering to vote until a couple of years ago, and why I'm registered as an Independent.  I don't agree or disagree fully with either of the major parties, and refuse to pick a "side" when the loudest members of either "side" tend to be single-issue voters.

So I avoid the discussions...and I avoid the namecalling...and I avoid the crap.  It's exhausting, it's disheartening, and I'm sick of hearing and reading about it.  I find myself skimming more and more posts because I just don't have the heart to read about it.  It all sucks, it's not getting any better, and I think expecting things to improve might be a bit foolhardy.  I really don't think anything's going to get better without  revolution...and I don't know if that would actually make anything better.  I just see the country swirling 'round the bowl, and I wonder when we'll eventually go down the drain.

I know this post will anger more than a few people out there, and it may make some of you decide to stop reading what Chris and I have to say...and frankly, I don't care.  Call me whatever you will, but I'm just burnt out on all of it.

16 comments:

ZerCool said...

A-freakin'-men. Preach it, sistah.

Cemetery's Gun Blob said...

Political discussions quickly turn any friendly gathering into a WWF event.

Laura said...

Zercool - thanks.

Cemetery - no kidding.

North said...

Sometimes on my blog I want to shout about the idiots. But I decided that I would refrain from current political events on my blog. So no political crap there. (Just other crap, I guess)

I think it has helped to keep my blood pressure down.

Mike W. said...

"It all sucks, it's not getting any better, and I think expecting things to improve might be a bit foolhardy. I really don't think anything's going to get better without revolution...and I don't know if that would actually make anything better. I just see the country swirling 'round the bowl, and I wonder when we'll eventually go down the drain."

I could've written that bit myself, so I totally know where you're coming from, unfortunately.

Laura said...

Funny you mention that...when I asked Chris to join me in writing here, he said he wanted to avoid the politics and discuss mostly fun stuff. I agreed with him. Tons of other people are happy covering the political stuff...I'm just as happy avoiding it.

Chris said...

Even though I do jump up on my soap box now and again. I'm trying!

Marty said...

I find that when political discussion start they are usually about a person (Sarah Palin) or a group (The Tea Party) and those are gossip, not serious discussion.

I prefer to discuss the issues. Usually a specific issue can be identified and the discussion is how to best solve a problem. Most of the time that defuses conflict. Gets people rowing in the same direction.

DirtCrashr said...

Politics sucks the hairy hind-one. More cocktail blogging!

Chris said...

@DirtCrashr hrmm. That's an interesting idea. I kinda like this one http://topshelfreviews.blogspot.com

Nice music vid btw :)

Old NFO said...

Nope, you're dead on Laura :-) AND you're probably smarter than 90% of us... sigh.

Laura said...

Mike - Ya, I know you and I think alike with that whole thing.

Marty - Unfortunately, both the gossip and the serious discussion exhausts me nowadays. People get so swept up in their singular issue that I just don't want to discuss it anymore. I count political discussion in with religious discussion - both CAN be interesting, but both are almost always mentally and emotionally exhausting if someone's trying to debate with me or convert me to their way of thinking.

Dirtcrashr - I've got a review or two in the works, just gotta write down what's in my head. Go read my Tennessee Honey review...I even have audio! :P

NFO - Thanks. :)

Mike W. said...

Hey, maybe the shit will get clogged up and overflow all over the place instead. Damn low-flow toilets! :P

Laura said...

OH SHUT IT YOU...LOL

Susan P said...

Following the meeting where the Founding Fathers decided exactly what type of government we would get a woman stopped Ben Franklin as he left the meeting and inquired, "Dr. Franklin, what did we get?" Franklin replied, "A Republic IF you can keep it".

The reason for the IF is because the only way to keep a Constitutional Republic functioning properly REQUIRES an INVOLVED and EDUCATED people to make sure those elected are not allowed to become greedy and in love with their own power. Unfortunately, the mess our country is in now is largely because so many have decided that politics is too noisy or too upsetting for them to get involved. While you were AVOIDING politics, the politicians got way out of control. So, if any of you don't like what happens in politics you have only yourselves to blame.

Get involved or don't complain when the Gestapo knocks down your door and drags you off to a concentration camp.

Chris said...

That's what I like to hear! The Vim and Vigor of the naive and not yet disillusioned under 25 crowd.
GO GET EM TIGER!