Go give this guy some love!

Sunday, July 24, 2011

I think the best birthday gift...

Is time spent with good friends.

Chris and I went to Virginia for the weekend to celebrate my birthday.  Newbius, NFO, Mike V, my old buddy S, and even my dearest friends L and his wife H (who trucked down from PA) hit the NRA museum and range with us.  We did the museum tour, then hit a restaurant for lunch and had a crazygood time while noshing on some pretty good food and having high-larious conversation.  After lunch Mike and Newbius had to skeedaddle, but the rest of us blew through a good bit of ammo at the range.

I learned:
1 - Gold Dot .45 ammo?  Holy Hannah.  I'm definitely not used to it!
2 - HK USP .45 = Heavy...and thick. Not my bag, but it shoots nice...it's just danged big for me.
3 - I am entirely too likely to drop the muzzle in anticipation of recoil when shooting .45, but I don't do so at all when I switch back to .380.  I really need to get some snap caps to practice more, I think...
4 - I need to lose weight so my holster fits better.  More on the holster later this week...Michael, we've got another winner!

Today we went to the newer Air & Space Museum...and it's well worth the $15 parking price.  Seriously.  Saw the Space Shuttle, the SR71, and a whole mess of other cool stuff.  If you're in the DC area, GO THERE.

Also, we stayed at the Springhill Suites Fairfax, and I can honestly say it's in my top 5 list of non-resort hotels.  If you find yourself needing a hotel somewhere near DC, GO THERE.  The room is EXCELLENT, the bed is comfortable, the staff is pleasant and helpful, and the breakfast is pretty good.  Oh, they'll have a flyer for a local pizza joint in the room...definitely order from there if you've got a hankering.  It's one fo the better delivery pizzas I've had in awhile.

All in all, this was a really nice weekend and I'm glad we decided to stay down there.  I'm also very thankful those who could make it out did.  I love you guys, and I'm glad I got to meet/talk with Mike. 

9 comments:

Old NFO said...

It was FUN! With Guns and Everything... And Happy Birthday to you Laura! :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Laura said...

Thanks thanks! And yes, it was FUN...but every range visit with friends is a good one. :)

Marty said...

I am so sorry I missed it! I recommend we have a make up celebration in the Fall!

Laura said...

Depends on our schedule, but we'll see. :)

Mike W. said...

Sorry I missed it! Sounds like you had a great time.

Glad I'm not the only one who finds full-power 230gr. rounds a bit much. I think next time I hit the range I'll shoot some of the Douibletap 185's just for kicks. Those should have plenty of recoil!

I like the 185gr. Golddots better than 230's (though I'm comparing GD's to HST's here)

Jay G said...

Happy (belated) birthday Laura!

Laura said...

Mike - you were missed! I don't necessarily think the 230s were over the top, but I'd certainly need a little more time with them to be comfortable shooting them.

Jay - thankee, sir. :)

Chris said...

It was fun. Good friends and interesting stuff is always a good time. I am in complete agreement on the hotel but not the loads. Just takes some getting used to and since your 1911 was for target purposes you're just not used to them. :)