Go give this guy some love!

Saturday, August 27, 2011

I hate living on the east coast.

I'm supposed to be driving to New Jersey for a friend's wedding reception right now, but instead Irene decided to rain on my parade. The winds aren't what's keeping me home...it's the fear of getting lost and stranded somewhere in NJ, and I'm really not down for that.

So I'm home, and being home allowed me to help get the house ready for the Smackening (and potential crazy power outages to follow).

I got gas on Thursday, and was absolutely amazed at the amount of people at Costco. The place was so packed they were spilling over into other parking lots just to park their cars. I heard they still had water as of yesterday morning, but I'm sure their shelves are now bare. The milk, eggs, bread, and TP are surely gone, as well. People have to make their TP casseroles, you know.

It made me wonder...just how few people actually know how to handle extreme weather in this stupid state? I'm somewhat used to the panic from a potential snowfall, but we really don't deal with hurricanes all that often so the idiots are even more frenzied than they would be in the winter.

Anyway. Those of you in the path of this thing, stay safe.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think of it as a learning experience. If it is this crazy with nothing going on yet, think of what it will be like if you have a real emergency. Besides it's not like you didn't have early warning. :-) Now that you're ready, you can lay in bed tonight, listen to the wind howell, the pitter patter of the rain on the roof and have a good excuse to snuggle.Good move on not going to Jersey, if ever there is a place where you need a permit ot carry its there.

Laura said...

Prep for this storm was rather smooth. We took care of most things yesterday, and Chris finished up this morning. I've never been frantic about hurricanes, though...the wind never concerns me. It's the power outages that can come of it which concern me most. We're ready for that, too.

DirtCrashr said...

LOL @ TP-casserole! We get our Big Rain in the form of "La Nina" weather every five years.
I don't miss not-living on the East Coast, but I never stopped in New Jersey when I was there...

Old NFO said...

Meh... I just left town :-) Actually a pre-scheduled trip to Indy. Hope y'all don't have any problems, I'll be back tomorrow evening, so I'll find out then!

Bubblehead Les. said...

Well, I'd be more worried about Tuesday or Wednesday when all the people who spent their "Obama Money" on Playstations or 60" Plasma TeeWees start going nuts because there's no 'Lectricity or Milk or Ice Cream or Booze being shipped in. Remember, most of the Bad Stuff in Katrina happened AFTER the Storm passed.

Stay Armed and Alert, and take pictures for the BlogShoot (if you can get out).

Laura said...

Dirtcrashr - The rain really isn't an issue at all...at least, not where we live. It's the stupid, stupid wind.

NFO - You probably didn't get much of a smackening down there. Nice move, being out of town for it. :P

Les - I think you're thinking of New Orleans. Baltimore is kindof bad, but we wouldn't have had that sort of storm up here. By the time a hurricane hits land, it starts to lose power...and this one cruised up the coast via NC for a few hours before we got whacked.