Go give this guy some love!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What happened to customer service?

I started looking at some polymer 9mm pistols and one of the pistols I was interested in was the Walther P99. I checked out Walther USA's website and there wasn't much information on different models or accessories. You see I'm a lefty and although I have seen and fired Walther p99 pistols with right side slide locks and safeties I did not see any reference to them on the website or in the product catalog. For those of you that don't know Smith & Wesson distributes Walther pistols in the US. The pistols are still made in Germany they're just imported and sold through S&W. I did find exactly what I wanted on the Walther Germany website and so after checking various boards and sites on the web with no luck on model numbers I decided to email customer service an ask. I sent
"Hi,

After looking at the website and current catalog I am still having difficulty finding the correct model of one of your handguns. I am interested in the Walther P99 AS 9mm shown here
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=13152&storeId=10002&productId=58947&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=43803&isFirearm=Y

I have heard of, and seen pictures of this handgun with an extended, right side, ambidextrous slide stop and long magazine release for lefties but I cannot locate the model on the website or the catalog. I do see the model listed on the German Walther site here:

http://www.carl-walther.de/index.php?company=walther&lang=EN&content=products&hid=2&uid=1&product=860

It shows additional codes for various features

PS = steel sights with phosphor 3-dot
AM = elongated ambidextrous slide stop
LM = long magazine release

Is a pistol so equipped available, and if so what would the model number be that I would tell my gun shop to order?

Thanks,

After about a week I received this reply.
Hello,
the models you saw are only available in Europe and are not available in the states. Thank You

While it directly answers my question, he doesn't go any further at all. Not, but we have this model, or this kit is available for it, or anything. Just NOPE, sorry. I do believe Walther has a pretty recently released similar pistol that even has ambidextrous controls on it. I don't think that's asking too much to expand on an answer or make an alternative suggestion. I guess this might be a partial explanation why you don't see a lot of Walther sales. It even makes me wary of buying a S&W now.

8 comments:

Bubblehead Les. said...

Take a look at the FN Polyframe guns. Ambidextrous Safeties/Decockers, reversible mag releases, interchangeable backstraps, reasonably priced. They come in your choice of 9mm, .40 S+W, .357 Sig and .45 ACP, all Double Stacked. Also comes with 10+1, so they may be Maryland Compliant.

Chris said...

Thanks Les. I'm looking at those too. We're actually ok up to 20 rnds in MD so most handguns are good with the full magazines.

Old NFO said...

Meh... Customer service got up and left... If you have questions, call Bernie at Virginia Arms, he can give you the straight dope.

Bradley said...

Oddly i sent an email to ARP Fasteners, with a few questions about what bolts to use in a specific application, they very quickly not only had grade recommendation(how strong the bolts should be) but what part numbers i should order, and part numbers for other bolts that might as well be replaced when i was in the rear end of my car. They also included bolt size, thread size and type and a Point of Contact at the makers for the parts(Ford and Eaton/Detroit) so that i could validate the info.

And a link directly to their online store with the stuff already in the cart. Talk about above and beyond.

Mike W. said...

Walther....sigh.

DirtCrashr said...

Not much for conversation are they?
But Sig isn't much better, or maybe even as good...

freddyboomboom said...

On all versions of the P99, there are magazine release levers on both sides of the trigger guard.

My P99 is the AS model, and I'm not sure what you mean by the right side safety, as the QA doesn't have a safety either.

Another polymer framed pistol that I have is a Beretta PX-4.

The PX-4 has the decocker/safety as a lever on both sides of the slide. In the "F" version, the "G" version it's a decocker only.

The PX-4 comes with three sizes of back strap, similar to the P99, for adjusting the size of the grip.

The magazine release is reversible with the aid of a screwdriver.

I am very happy with both my P99 and my PX-4.

I would recommend either.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at freddyboomboom at gmail.

Evyl Robot Michael said...

That is odd that they couldn't do any better than that for you. The couple of times that I've dealt with S&W customer service it has been exemplary. Then again, an experience that I had eerily similar to what you describe but with Beretta lost them a sale.