Go give this guy some love!

Monday, August 29, 2011

So, we survived.

As everyone else is saying, this hurricane wasn't as bad as we were expecting. Chris and I were pretty much prepared for whatever it could toss our way, but we were really hoping we didn't lose power. Sadly, we did, and we've hit Hour 32 of no 'lectric to the house.

The worst part, though, isn't that we lost power. It's that my block is the only block in the neighborhood to lose power, and it's all because the city sucks horribly when it comes to maintaining trees in the easement behind us. Last year, after over 10 years of letters and phone calls from Chris and other neighbors, they finally came out to trim the trees. They left a limb hanging on the lines, and we're pretty sure that played a part in killing power to the block. I'm told there are tree people in the neighborhood (currently lounging on the side of their truck, if twitter photos are any indication), so hopefully power will be restored sometime today.

My fish will be happy. So will I - I have lots of baking to do.


DISCLAIMER: yes, I know, we should have had a generator. We'll be rectifying that soon.

6 comments:

Old NFO said...

Glad y'all are safe, but the food in the fridge is toast... :-( And that is NOT cheap!

Laura said...

Funny thing...Chris and I thought ahead, and he froze a crap-ton of water on Friday. When things started to get less than chilly in the fridge, he moved a block of ice in there. He has since picked up a ridiculous amount of ice and has been feeding the fridge and freezers with it. As an extra precaution, we took all our frozen meat to a friend's house for temp storage.

I'm thinking just about all the food has been salvaged. Maybe. Hopefully.

Mike W. said...

Well it'd better come back on. The world needs more of Laura's baking!

Bubblehead Les. said...

If you are still coming up to the Blogshoot, remind me to tell you about the FOUR DAYS w/o Electricity I went through a couple of years ago while watching the neighbors across the street watch TV. But I did get to chase off some Teen Age Looters with a 12 Gauge Pump, so there was some fun to be had after all.

Old NFO said...

Here's hoping!!! Good planning on Chris' part!!!!

Anonymous said...

That Chris is all right! Glad to hear that your both o.k.