Go give this guy some love!

Friday, June 24, 2011

Gunnies never cease to amaze me.

One of the things I always wanted to do is to start doing some shooting sports, but I've never really had the time or money to get started easily. I finally got my chance. I was recently able to join a local gun club and have met some really nice people. One of these people suggested that I try and come to their weekly bulls eye competition. He said it was no pressure, inexpensive, didn't take long and I could shoot any pistol I had. He also said it would be a great way to get into some competition shooting. I told Laura about it and we decided to check out the next match.

Thursday rolled around and we headed up to the club range. No one I had previously met was there. I told the range officer we were looking for the bulls eye competition and he indicated it was right here and one round was in progress, but we could jump in on the next one. He was really nice, and helped us get registered and told us what we were going to do. After that round was over, we met some of the other shooters that were there, and they also helped us get set up and gave us the basic rundown on the matches. All of these people even though neither one of us had met any of them before, were really helpful, patient and nice. Just then 2 of the guys I had met before including the one that invited me to come showed up. As the other shooters noticed that I knew them they relaxed even more and pretty soon everyone was talking and joking like we were old friends. When the competition started they explained each stage, the scoring, and what to do, like they were actually glad to have some new people around and they all made us fell very welcome.

It was good fun, an interesting introduction to actual competition and something I want to do again. The guy that invited me said, see, if you get used to this I'll have you shooting IPSC by the end of the year. I am continuously amazed with the people involved in shooting and shooting sports. It's such a big difference from the people I deal with every day that I can't help but be. I hope as I meet more and more gunnies I continue to meet great people that are willing to share their sport.

4 comments:

ZerCool said...

Amen to that.

The range I (ostensibly) shoot at is primarily focused on precision rifle. I went to an F-class match to check it out, and was promptly set up with one of the other member's spare Remington 700 in .308 and a box of his custom-handloaded/tuned ammo to shoot the match. I didn't come in at the absolute bottom, but not great either. I slipped a $20 in the ammo box before I came off the line and thanked him.

I didn't enjoy F-class, but I enjoyed the opportunity to do so.

At Northeast Blogshoot, the standard greeting to new arrivals was, "Hi, I'm _____. Have you ever shot a ____? Would you like to?"

Chris said...

It's great to hear others have a similar experience and mine aren't a special case.

Old NFO said...

It's all good until you start beating em... :-) Seriously, I've done that on both sides more than once. It is an entirely different mentality, one of friendly competition and enjoyment of a common sport.

Bradley said...

Gunnies I have found are just like Soldiers. Once they find out you are one too, they will treat you like friends, if not family.