Go give this guy some love!

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Netflix "Have Gun - Will Travel"

One of my favorite things is Netflix Watch Instantly. Yes I'm easily amused. It's a kind of strange admiration for me. I feel that of all the things I was lied to about what the future would be like, Netflix came through. Every time I use the service I have to chuckle a little. I'm sure you've heard of it, but if you haven't Netflix offers on demand streaming movies and television shows to pretty much any device with an internet connection. You can get a free 1 month trial here.

A really great feature of this service is that they add tons of old movies and TV shows that you might have heard of, or meant to watch, but never really wanted to rent or buy the DVDs. Sometimes they add a really great one, like this month they added Have Gun - Will Travel. The show spans 225 half hour episodes starring Richard Boone as Paladin, the coolest, cleverest gunfighter you ever met. Paladin is so calm and confident he makes Clint Eastwood's "man with no name" seem twitchy by comparison. I had seen a few episodes, and was impressed, but I'm too young to have watched it on TV and it really was never in syndication. Thanks to Netflix, this is an excellent opportunity to see the rest of this great series. If you want a little drama in your day check out one of the show's openings. Intense eh? Each show opens that way, with a poignant piece of dialogue. The episodes are well written, some even by Gene Roddenberry and star a variety of actors you might recognize before they were famous. I spotted a very young Roscoe P. Coltrane of Dukes of Hazzard fame the other day. The characters vary from episode to episode except Paladin and Hey-boy the bell-hop at the hotel. Paladin's gun, a SAA Colt Cavalry 7.5 inch model chambered in 44-40 plays prominently, as you can see from the opening, even though he only used it when his cleverness couldn't get him out of a jam. One of the other great things about this series is that unlike a lot of old TV shows Have Gun - Will Travel was shot on location. Very few sets and soundstages were used and you can get a great sense of the wide open west watching the show.



I love westerns and my liking the show wasn't a stretch, but Laura who only kinda likes westerns joined me for a few episodes I was watching and really likes it too. Do yourself a favor and check it out. Not only for the western theme, but to see quality television, the way it used to be

7 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

Noted and Added! Thanks!

Old NFO said...

Loved it as a kid, guess I'll have to sign up for Netflix... thanks!

RobertM said...

I'm going to have to check this out.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Dumped the Directv last week, replaced it with a Roku Box and Netflix, put an old-School antenna on the roof for local news and weather and traffic, much much better for about 10% of the cost. While you have it, check out "The Rat Patrol". One of the last of the old school WW2 shows made before Political Correctness ruined everything.

Tech tip: Run the Antenna into any existing Satellite/Cable wires, using a splitter if needed, then go to www.Antennaweb.org to find the direction and distance of your local TV, adjust accordingly to your home, use the cable/antenna input and do a Channel Search. Plug the Netflix into a HDMI slot, and Bob's Your Uncle!

Chris said...

@Les Yes Rat Patrol is on watch it now too. I was lucky enough to catch that in syndication when I was a kid. It was one of my favorite shows. :) I remember playing Rat Patrol with my friends pretending my treehouse was one of the jeeps.

Guffaw in AZ said...

I remember snippets of it, when I was a kid.
I remember seeing his business card Have Gun - Will Travel
Wire Paladin, San Francisco
and thinking, what a stoopid first name, Wire!

J.A.W. said...

Apparently NetFlix has recently removed Have Gun Will Travel from its streaming options. Bummer, it was my favorite show.