Go give this guy some love!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Knife News

I am going to make more of an effort to cover things slashy and stabby. I have been collecting knives for some time, and previously worked in the cutlery business. Talking to people with interest in sharp tools I've found, like anything else, I know what I like, but your milage may vary. Hopefully I might turn you on to something new or different.

So, without further ado, Spyderco announces The Schempp Rock -FB20FBK According to the website it's "Designed by renowned custom knifemaker Ed Schempp, the Schempp Rock is a purpose-designed “camp” knife that combines highly evolved ergonomics, exceptional edge geometry, and light weight to yield an incredibly easy to use tool."

It looks like a good all around design to me. It has a blade length of 6 3/4 inches, and the kukuri influence can clearly be seen. I'm sure that will assist you, adding leverage to your camp chopping chores. The MSRP on the site is $234.95

11 comments:

North said...

I've been kicking around the idea of a boot knife. Any suggestions?

Chris said...

I can make several, but it depends on what you're looking for. Some people like pretty and fancy stuff, others like more utilitarian. The problem with boot knives is they usually get the crap kicked out of them even though they are not used very often just from being banged around while carried. I usually opt for something simple and inexpensive. For a very inexpensive utilitarian boot knife check out the CRKT Sting. http://www.crkt.com/AG-Russell-Sting-One-piece-Hot-Forged-Double-Razor-Sharp-Edge This is an old AG Russel design. It's flat, there's no handles to get worn, yet its very easy to hold onto and it has a decent blade. It won't hold up to too much utility use though. The only problem with this knife is it doesn't come with a traditional boot sheath. It comes with a nylon sheath that locks into the thumbgroove, but can only be worn with the included leg straps or horizontally on the belt. Hope that helps.

Laura said...

seconding the Sting recommendation. Breda carries one, as well.

Mike W. said...

I really like the CKRT Sting. It's what I'd carry if I could carry a boot knife.

I'm currently using the Camillus Assisted folder from the NRA Con as my EDC knife. Why yes, I did have my hand on it when the grungy hobo accosted me on my walk into work this morning.

That Spyderco is nice, just way too rich for me.

Weer'd Beard said...

Wow that is a cool looking knife. My "big Camp Knife" niche is currently filled by my CRKT Ultima. I really dig it, just wish I had more use for it.

Since the convention my EDC has been mostly the CRKT Vertex assisted. I really like it.

Tho the Kershaw Zing really gives it a run for its money in functionality and added benefits of being simpler given its not assisted, and its really thin.

North said...

I have some Kabar class knives. But not for my boot.

The Sting looks appropriate. If I get one I'll have to have a custom leather holster made for it.

I have a wonderful CRKT M16-12Z assisted open. That is a great knife.

Chris said...

@North If you had an old boot sheath you could probably pull the clip off and rivet it to the back of the sheath it comes with.

Weer'd Beard said...

Hey North, I know a guy who does leather work!
http://www.dragonleatherworks.com/

Get the knife. Take a photo of the knife next to a ruler so he can scale the photo to make a life-size image, and let him know what you want.

North said...

WB: I also know a guy that does great leather work. He needs some good press, too. http://www.theholstersite.com

Everything he has done for me has been great! He is currently working on a gift for my wife.

Chris said...

I know both of those guys, and I would not hesitate to business with either one. I was just looking for an alternative for such an inexpensive knife.

North said...

Chris: Apparently I should get a more expensive knife? :-D