Go give this guy some love!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Self defense redux.

Back in February, I posted this.  Today, I had a situation reaffirm what I discussed in that post.

This morning was bad shortly after I woke up.  I got up late, had cat mess to clean up, was distracted, left the pepper spray and belt knife upstairs.

By the time I hit the highway, I realized I wouldn't just be late...I would be RIDICULOUSLY late.  Highway was backed up for at least a couple of miles.  Insert groan here.

By the time I neared work, I realized I'd forgotten to pack food...so I stopped at the grocery store nearest my office.  I have done this so many times before it's nearly second nature - pull in, grab food, pay, go.  It usually takes me 5 minutes, tops.

Today, however, something was definitely off.  Someone was following me around the store.  He was a white male, about 6'2" tall, maybe 200 lbs.  He apparently decided I was interesting, and decided to follow me around the store.  The guy didn't look at anything or anyone but me.  By the time I was midway through the store, I was fed up - screamed at him to get the hell away from me.  He took off running, and I completed my shopping.  Turns out, the guy was waiting for me on his scooter outside the door.  He waited until I exited the store to start his scooter.  I screamed at him again and called the police - fortunately, at that point he took off.

So, in summation: idiot decides I'm a tasty morsel of cowflesh.  I prevent him from doing anything.  I'm safe and at work, and he's...who-knows-where.  The police never showed up (which isn't surprising, really, in this town) and no one in the store reacted.  I'm angry with myself for leaving home the two things I own for situations just like this, but I'll be more vigilant tomorrow.  At least I HAVE a tomorrow.  At least I know that if someone tries to sneak up on me, it's like sneaking up on a goose - I'll be noisy and defensive, even when I'm not quite awake.  Hooray for gut reactions actually being appropriate.

At least I'm alright.  If the guy had a gun and decided to use it, however, I wouldn't be...and because the police didn't bother to show, I lack any sort of real record of this incident.  Not that it would be enough to get me a carry permit anyway...

16 comments:

Mike W. said...

You mean the police didn't show up.... in Baltimore! Impossible!

Glad you're alright and good on you for maintaining situational awareness. Stay safe!

Alan said...

The most important weapon didn't get left behind and you're not a police report this morning.

Good lesson for everyone.

North said...

I get all bothered and turn up my 'protection' dial to 11 when I hear that.

Glad you are safe.

Evyl Robot Michael said...

Good on you! Sure, you didn't feel prepared for the situation, but you still took ownership of it and refused to be a victim. I'm proud of you!

Jennifer said...

Good job! I've been there too. Reading your story was all too familiar.

Chris said...

Like I told you this morning. You kept heads up and refused to be a victim. Just because you forgot your other stuff dosen't mean you were left defenseless. :) I'm very glad you're ok and I proud that you handled it well.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Glad you made it through this one w/o any serious problems. We all have been rushed and left gear behind. Clint Smith has taught us that 2 is 1, 1 is 0. I don't know what the Maryland Law is, but if you can "Double Up" on your Protective Gear and put it in your vehicle, then, if you leave Home w/o something, just grab the spares. Also, if you can keep something in your workplace, that will also be useful. Hope this helps.

mupedalpusher said...

Glad you were aware and willing to do something to get rid of the creep. How many citizens wouldn't even notice him following? It's scary to watch young men and women walking around with headphones and cell phones just making themselves sitting ducks for the creeps of the world. Glad it all turned out okay.

FightinBluHen51 said...

Glad you are alright.

Not to worry, SCOTUS will conference on Williams vs. MD this Friday (though it will probably be moved pending a requested response from MD), and we'll get Gansler's reply this Friday for Woollard.

Far too many fronts for this state to manage on public RKBA that we won't get something, eventually.

Laura said...

thanks for the comments, everyone.

i'm still angry i was underprepared, and i'm equally annoyed with myself that i lack locational awareness. Chris mentioned the fact that this store likely has inexpensive knives hanging in one of the aisles, and i could have grabbed one of those if needed. that option never occurred to me.

still, i'm glad that dirtbag got nothing more than a few glares and an earful.

Mike W. said...

FYI - This is why I keep a spare pocketknife in the center console of my car at all times. That way if I forget to clip one on my pants in the morning (it happens) I've still got one I can put on for the walk to/from the ghetto.

I've also got pepper spray ON my keychain, making it impossible to forget it in a rush.

Just a thought.

DaddyBear said...

I'm glad you're OK. How many people would have made the wrong decision and not given the guy an earful because it was impolite or "unladylike". You did exactly the right thing.

instinct said...

In a worst case situation you can always go for the eyes. If your attacker gets hold of you then he has put himself in range (generally) of you shoving a few fingers into his eye sockets.

Also, a good metal pen or mechanical pencil can make a good stabbing device in a pinch. Other thoughts are - don't go for the groin unless you can grab and squeeze to crush, instead, kick the shin or kneecap as hard as you can - broken or dislocated legs make it very hard for them to chase you.

Laura said...

Mike - there's always a knife in the car, but it's not one i'd carry. i had my Kershaw in my purse. that thing almost never leaves my side. still, i would have preferred the belt knife. the pepper spray is stupidly still in the bag of stuff from the convention. will be rectifying that tonight.

instinct - while yes, i could go for the eyes, i'd rather not. i'm short, and occasionally can't reach that high...and it puts my arms in a position where they COULD be grabbed by an attacker. i'd go for the knees first, then flee. i know better than to go for the groin - men instinctively protect that area.

DaddyBear - i gave up being "ladylike" when i was a kid. i'm too much of a tomboy for that.

Old NFO said...

Good points, and phone cameras ARE a tool if worst comes to worst... Perps sure as hell don't want pictures taken.

Laura said...

NFO, good point. I usually carry a camera in my bag (as well as my phone, which also has a camera). That would have taken an extra couple of minutes to pull out, though.